Thursday, June 13, 2013

Onion Rings!



Nicely sliced onions.
 All right.  I made onion rings again, and this time took fancy pictures for you. :)  I started by just taking a large sweet onion (any large onion works, but I prefer sweeter ones when I'm only eating onions) and slicing them.  You can slice them in half if you want to make onion straws instead.  Both are delicious, trust me!  Change the thickness depending upon your preferences.  Just know, this is a light breading, and it's nice to have them thinner for some crispness.


Soak the onions in the egg and milk wash, and the throw them into a mix of flour and whatever seasons you want.  At a minimum I suggest adding salt and pepper to it, but you can add other savory spices.  Whatever you want.


Onions soaking in an egg and milk wash
Onions in flour and seasoning mixture








 



Cooking!


 Cook those onions in oil that's heated to between 350 and 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  I do it by the color of the onions, when they're a nice golden brown.  It's a couple of minutes.  I definitely overfilled the basket this time, so, I suggest not putting too many in there, because it can crowd them and increase the cooking time.




 Here's a bottle of my super secret rub.  I really can't tell you what's in it :)  But it's delicious, and has a slight bit of spice and kick to it.  The small amount of heat is nice with the onions.
Homemade Rub.  Shh...




All done and draining!


  When the onions are all done cooking, spread them out on either paper towel or a paper bag.  Also, be sure to sprinkle those bad boys with salt immediately.  It makes them extra delicious.  Just let them cool a bit and away you go!  Happy nomming :)



Sprinkle with salt and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment